Why Write?


Originally, I created this blog to document my trip to India. Upon my return, I realized that I couldn't shake the writing bug.
So, feel free to read about my adventures in India and stay tuned for my traveling updates!

Sunday, January 6, 2013

India, You Will Always Be With Me

Even though my trip to India has long since passed, I still carry the memories with me wherever I go. 
It almost feels like India has become a part of who I am. Living in Bahrain gives me a daily reminder of my time there. Over the past few months, I have found myself befriending any Indian I come in contact with. Now I have new friends in my apartment complex, at the convenient store, and even at work. I guess I'm just drawn to "anything" or "anyone" Indian.

The kids who live across the hallway from my apartment can be quite loud, especially on Saturday mornings, when I'm trying to sleep in. Even though I often have to cover my head with my pillow to temporarily drown out the noise, I somehow manage to get out a laugh or two. They sing, dance, yell, and even ride their bloody bikes around in the hallway like it's a three ring circus! For the most part though, I don't mind because it reminds me of India!

This past summer, I became friends with the Indian men who worked at the corner convenient store. They were the first people to find out about my trip to India.  One evening, I burst into the store and exclaimed, "I'm going to India!" They told me all about their families and gave me pointers on visiting the country. When I came back from my trip, I showed them a few pictures. They were astonished that I went all by myself. I have since moved apartments and don't get to see much of them anymore; but,  I try to stop by to say hi every few weeks or so.

I'm now friends with the Indian servers at the Subway restaurant near work! They know me by name now and the moment I walk thru the door, they make me my favorite sandwich. I have discussed India with them as well. They always humor me when they tell me, "You are our favorite customer!" I think I promised one of them that I would give English lessons. Speaking of which, I need to get on that!

I tutor two Indian students, Vismita and Visrutta. They are five year old twin girls and probably two of the cutest kids to walk the planet. Even though they know my name, Miss Amy, they still call me "TEACHER," "TEACHER," "TEACHER," whenever they need something or have a question. They even do the bobble head when they speak. If you haven't read all of my blogs, you may be confused by my reference to bobble heads. When an Indian speaks, they wobble their heads from side to side. Always reminds me of the bobble head figures that people place in their cars. I think it's absolutely precious.

Bobble Head Reference :)

So you see, my Indian Adventures have continued and India will always have a special place in my heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your thoughts. I love hearing from my readers! XOXO