Why Write?


Originally, I created this blog to document my trip to India. Upon my return, I realized that I couldn't shake the writing bug.
So, feel free to read about my adventures in India and stay tuned for my traveling updates!

Friday, April 13, 2018

Hawaii (LOVE)

With the spiritual experience in Guam behind me, it was off to Hawaii

Hawaii-I loved


I don’t think this blog post will be very long. Mainly, I am going to update the short story that I started a few years ago. Plus, I finally remembered what my username and password are to this blog. Opps! But, I still remember all of the details about this trip.  Life got a hold of me (again-geez!), this time mostly going to graduate school. But, I am finished now (happy dance)! So, I’ll just write from memory. Aren’t those the best stories anyway?

For me, falling in love with Hawaii (the first time) was instantaneous. The second I breezed through the sliding doors of the airport and stepped out into the sunshine and salty air, I knew this was it. This was love.

The question I have been pondering since I moved from Hawaii a few years ago is, do you think it’s possible to fall in love with a location? If so, what does that look like? Can a particular location bring you comfort, peace, and joy, even friendship? Whether you are religious or not, the land and the sea really can be healing if you open yourself up to it’s energies. I know this is why I love the ocean so much. It’s where my heart feels most at peace. Some people need the mountains. I need the ocean. 

Anyway, going back during this trip felt like the best homecoming a girl could have. I took a flight from Guam to Oahu. My friend said that I could stay with her family while I was on my soul-searching mini-vacation and summer break.

I met Rochelle while I was living in Hawaii. Her family was always really sweet to me when I was living there and our Dad’s had similar background. They both flew airplanes for the military and they both used to work for United Airlines. So, I actually met her the first time (when I used to live in Hawaii) at the airport in Honolulu.  We (obviously) became friends after that and I hung out a lot with her and her awesome family. She really was a good friend to me while I lived there. True Story!

By the time my plane landed in Hawaii, I was almost in tears. Yep, I cried while walking through the airport. I don’t think anyone could see that I was crying because it was a quiet cry. Why did I cry? Well, I just love Hawaii too much (I still do).  Hawaii is now apart of my being. I mean, I still refuse to have short hair on account of Hawaii (true story). So, my homecoming to Hawaii was bittersweet.

While I was back in Hawaii, I asked Rochelle’s Mom to show me around. She's a local grew and up on Oahu. Oahu is a pretty small island and after you have lived there for a few years, you have to find new ways of appreciating Hawaii, even though it's already an amazing place. Even though I lived there before, I wanted to see things from new lenses. So, I asked her to take me around and tell me about her childhood story and what it was like for her growing up on the island of Oahu.

Here are a few of my pictures. It was fun to walk down the same streets I used to live on, but have a new story behind the places that I already loved and will always love. Maybe I will write more soon. But for now, here is my photo story. 

Stay tuned until I write again…it will probably take another four years! 




 (Ken and I had a drink to honor our former roommate who died a few years ago)
(Rest in peace Norman, we love you!)
(I think I had two drinks and I look way too sloppy-"Opps")


 (I forgot, I was in Hawaii for my birthday)

Moral of the Story: Hawaii, I'll be back!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your thoughts. I love hearing from my readers! XOXO